Meeting Huayna Picchu

Our last morning in this beautiful oasis and we were up at 5 A.M. with just enough time to eat scrumptious quinoa pancakes and an egg omelet. I was delighted to load up on carbs for the hike up Huayna Picchu. The number of daily visitors allowed to enter Huayna Picchu is restricted to 400; 200 at 7am and 200 at 10am and we had tickets for the 7am group. The morning of our hike was overcast which was perfect. The weather these past few days had been unpredictable but at the same time unspoiled. A cold breeze would come in just when you needed to cool down, the sun would warm you up just when you thought it was too cold, and an occasional light sprinkle of rain was offered from above to cleanse you from time to time.

The hike up the mountain consisted of hundreds of steps which ranged from ½ to 1 foot in height. There were some steps that felt slippery and in most of those instances you had a rope on the side of the mountain to grab and help you up or just to heighten your sense of security. I wanted to video and take photos all the way up but most of this memory will just have to live within me. Watching your footing, using your hands from time to time, and keeping a steady pace was more important. Stopping often made me feel even more exhausted and hot. I was going at a fast pace but going slow and steady would have been better. There were times when I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest when I didn’t focus on my breathing.

I had watched the videos on you tube and heard stories about how difficult the hike was. I didn’t know what to expect other than knowing I was going to do this no matter what it took. It typically takes anywhere from 45 to 1 ½ hours to reach the top and I did it in 40 minutes! It was not the easiest thing I had done but nowhere as scary as people made it out to be. There were moments when the space I was walking on and the ledge that could take me from living now into forever was maybe 1 ½ feet wide but I just had to pay attention to where I was going and keep moving.

Reaching the top felt incredible and the view was absolutely amazing. There were small birds about 3 inches tall that came up to us and lovingly welcomed us to their world. I was enchanted as it felt like a scene from Cinderella as they chirped at me while coming as close as half a foot away. This is where I told my mom I’d meet her on this trip.

Here’s to my mom’s 1 year anniversary & embarking on a new journey.
To pure unconditional love, loving life,
standing in our power, & accelerating our path to the next level of ourselves.

After taking a moment at the top, it was time to go. Now getting down was a little more intense than climbing up. We had to sit on our butts and scoot our way down narrow and very small steps for what seemed like half of the journey down. These steps on this particular path were only supposed to be used for going down Huayna Picchu to connect onto the original path so we could continue the journey back to Machu Picchu. Going down took longer because we were in an assembly line of people with more people coming up. This was like the busses traveling the zig zagging road to Machu Picchu. The confident people were flying by and going around people with no problem. The less confident and less physically fit were standing to the side letting people pass.

Overall I think anyone can do this with some advice. Don’t carry anything if you don’t have to except for water, a protein bar, passport, and a camera. Take a breathable hat in the event the sun is out, pace yourself, and let people pass when they are close on your tail. Wear layered clothing as you will break out in extreme sweat starting half way up. Don’t touch your gorgeous face because your hands will have a slight orange tint to them from grabbing the ropes with your love grip. Plan on taking your time, enter with the group at 7am, and DON’T give up. If you aren’t physically fit at all, anticipate the hike up Huayna Picchu to take 2 or more hours.

Many Blessings.